Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Thank You Veterans

I shared this picture on Facebook a few days ago, of my dad, flanked by two of his older brothers, Don and Howard.  Dad was wounded in Sicily in 1943.  His brothers served in Europe through the end of the war. 
They were part of a family legacy of serving.  Two of my cousins served in the Marine Corps more recently.  One was in Beirut when the Marine's barracks was blown up, and assisted in the rescue of his comrades.
Continuing the legacy, my nephew served in Afghanistan
My great-great-grandfather served in the 129th Indiana Infantry during the Civil War.
 Others of the family served in World War I.  This 1st cousin (twice removed) served in France, losing his life shortly before the Armistice, late October 1918.
To all who served, all who came home, and all who gave their life.  I salute you all.  Thank you for your service.

No comments: