Sunday, January 31, 2016

A New Church Home?

I know I said I would share photo of my finished Lilic Cardigan, and it will come, I promise. But first, a step on my journey.

This weekend was my first weekend seeking for a new church. I talked with several friends, and had several offers for me to accompany them to their churches. But I had the feeling I was being called to the Catholic Church. In a way, it is like completing a journey. I started many years ago in a little Wesleyan Methodist church, progressing to Methodist/United Methodist for many years from upper elementary through college. After several more years I attended Catholic Mass with friends many times, I even occasionally played guitar at Saturday Mass. I considered making the change permanent, but thought it was too big a leap. Then I discovered the Episcopal church. It felt like home. It was my church home for more than 30 years.

But in recent years, it felt like it was changing in ways I was uncomfortable with. The three legs the church was supposed to be balanced on seemed to be more like it was teetering on one leg. The scriptural teaching and traditions seemed lacking.

So, when I attended one of the nearby Catholic churches Saturday I was pleasantly wrapped in a sense of worship. The homily was not a talk about the beliefs of the priest, but was based on the scriptures. He touched on the Old Testament, Epistle, and Gospel readings, tying them all together in a Bible based message. I felt closer to Christ than I had for a long time at my old church. I was moved to tears. I felt that I had worshipped. I will give it a few weeks to be sure, but I may be done looking.

And if you are only here for the sweater, here it is, buttons and all. I think I like it. The Lilac Cardigan, just waiting to be gifted and worn.

No comments: