Sunday, February 7, 2016

Casting On, Casting About

With this wispy and delicate unyarn, (much thinner than pencil roving) casting on took some deliberation. There was no way I was going to try a long tail cast on. Not with 277 stitches needed. So I tried a couple of methods, and decided on the knitted cast on. No tail needed, and still some body to it.

But the casting on wasn't the hardest part. The hard part was joining it without a twist. I decided to knit one row first, giving a bit more fabric to use as a guideline before joining.

After joining and knitting one round, I once again checked the twist. After the first round, it is possible to twist the join to straighten it out. But only after the first round.

I had to pin it down as I worked my way around. And thought I had I right. After knitting one more , and nearly another, I just didn't trust it. I pinned it down again.

And now, I am unknitting my unyarn. Very carefully, and winding it back up as I go, all the way back to the end of the first round.

Sometimes there is a little heartache in knitting.

No comments: