Thursday, September 17, 2009

List of Nines--Part 9—Favorite Knitting Patterns

End of the line, list wise. I think I saved a good one for the end. And I hope by now you have learned a little about me. Probably more than you wanted though, huh?

  1. Referenced in previous lists, my favorite sock pattern is the Yarn Harlot’s basic plain vanilla sock pattern. Adaptable for different stitch patterns and gauges, it is still a mindless knit when working a basic pattern. A pattern staple.
  2. Elizabeth Zimmermann’s February Baby Sweater. I made this for my long suffering great nephew. It was a quick knit and essential prequel to the February Lady Sweater that I also love. I promise, mine will be coming out of hibernation soon.
  3. Cottage Creation is another of my favorite designers. Their Wonderful Wallaby, and hoodie sweatshirt type sweater is a great gift for children, and my own is warm and comfy. The designer recently added a top down garter wallaby type sweater you have recently read about here the Kyler’s Kardigan.
  4. Another EZ pattern I love is the Pi Are Square shawl. A horseshoe design, a semi-circle with long tails in front is a combo of the round and the rectangle. The best of both worlds. I may be starting one in the near future.
  5. Knit Picks Classic Line Cardigan. My recent Hot Rod Heather cardigan was made with this pattern. Using doubled lace weight yarn, it is light and comfortable. I love it and plan future sweaters in other colors.
  6. Elizabeth Zimmermann comes through again with her EPS sweaters. Elizabeth’s Percentage System helps the knitter take their gauge, their measurements and knit a perfectly fitting sweater in the round. When she devised the method of decreasing the yoke it made “do it yourself” colorwork possible.
  7. The Sheep Shawl by Evelyn A Clark. A charted triangle shawl with pictures of fields, trees, houses and of course sheep. I WILL make one some day.
  8. The Sonoma Shawl. I made one for me and one for Sandy. This elbow length capelet is just the right size for hands-free wearing with the addition of a shawl pin.
  9. One last EZ pattern. In the Knitting Almanac with the February Baby Sweater is a square shawl. I made one in wool worsted for my father. Very warm, very easy. The hardest part was managing the long needle cable.

    Well that’s it, the ninth list of nines.
    Glad that is done. Well, at least until Oct 10, 2010 anyway.

No comments: