Friday, September 11, 2009

List of Nines--part 3 Nine Movies I Love

Continuing the series of Lists of Nines
A few of my favorite moves, by no means a complete list
  1. Gone With the Wind, one of the 1939 classics. I still sigh the first time Clark Gable comes on screen.
  2. My all time favorite--The Blob, with Steve McQueen. A group from college showed it 8 times over 2 weekends for a fund raiser. I used to be able to reside the dialogue, corny as it is. Love it.
  3. Pride and Prejudice, the 1939 version with Greer Garson and Lawrence Olivier. Although the televised version (with Kiera Knightly I think it is) is beginning to gain a foothold with me. Both versions have delightful D'Arcys and such self-centered Mrs Bennets.
  4. Another great 1939 film, The Women. I had to see it a second time to confirm there isn't a man involved, not even in the credits. How delightful. How catty.
  5. The Gay Divorcee with Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire. I love all their films but this one with them dancing to Night and Day remains my favorite. Love that flowing dress.
  6. Holiday Inn, another with Fred Astaire, but with the added benefit of Bing Crosby. I've worn out 2 DVDs and before that a VHS tape. Watch it every year while wrapping presents.
  7. White Christmas, see above but substitute Danny Kaye for Fred Astaire.
  8. Wizard of Oz. Love this movie. Mom always said we've seen this and changed the channel. I was out of college and living on my own before I realized most of the movie was in color!
  9. And another 1939 classic, Stagecoach, with a very youthful John Wayne.

No comments: