Monday, August 11, 2008

Sock Blank Dyeing

Ok, I took the plunge and dyed my sock blank. I planned on a whole series of pictures...but I was messy, my fingers were purple and I only got one of the finished blank. It is still drying but this is a good representation of what is looks like.

Yea, I know its bright but I love the colors. I used kool-aid to dye it, and this is my first attempt dyeing solo. I used Pink Lemonade, Strawberry, Blue Raspberry (I think--the blue flavor anyway), Black Cherry and Grape. I had small 1 oz squeeze bottles that I mixed 2 packets with hot water. I then shook to mix and just dribbled and drizzled colors around. I think in the future, if I try this again, I may mist an over all color with the spray bottle and then highlight spots of color. I can't wait to try it.


Of course, (for non-knitters) this will make sock that are knit 2 at a time on a long circular needle as the blank is unraveled. I am debating ordering a size 1 (2.25) from Knit Picks. I have an Addi circ but it is a 2.5 size one and I really like the smaller gauge I get with the 2.25 needle.


I did manage to finish and turn the heel on the blue green second sock. That means once I am past the gussets I can legally start my next pair. At least according to Linda's Law of Sock pairs. I cannot start a new pair until the first pair is past the gusset on the second sock. Since this blank will knit up 2 at a time, I will be all confused when it comes time for the next project.


Oh yeah--Angie was asking about the roving I got from Spunky Eclectic. I won't get the first installment from the roving club until after September first. Another thing to remember when I get to Allegan this weekend for the fiber festival. Anyway, here is a pic of the Venus colorway roving that I got. I hope to start this soon. I am trying to decide if I should use the wheel or a drop spindle. Both my Kunderts are empty at the moment.

Hmmm, decisions, decisions.

1 comment:

Angie J said...

Ooh pretty sock blank. That's not a Knit Picks blank for sure. Can't wait to see it knitted into socks. I'm sooooooooo whipped and that's just doing some major bead shopping and wood pellet stove shopping with mom.

I'm having fun dyeing and knitting 2 socks up at once.