Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Christmas Media Snob

I admit it. When it comes to my Christmas music I want the oldies but goodies. Give me Bing, Frank, and Nat singing anything. A bit of Elvis with "Blue Christmas" and Brenda Lee "Rocking Around the Christmas Tree." Nobody but Eartha Kitt can sing "Santa Baby" the "right" way. And while I do enjoy Mannheim Steamroller and the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, I really prefer the old tunes. Especially "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" and "I Want a Hippopotamus For Christmas". But it seems that our local Christmas radio station only plays the new ones. Darn.

When it comes to movies I am almost as bad. I want to see "White Christmas", "Holiday Inn", "Christmas Carol", "Christmas in Connecticut", "Miracle on 34th Street" and "It's a Wonderful Life". A new classic for me is "The Polar Express". And so far I've seen them all. But I don't mind alternate versions of some. Why, I've seen several versions of A Christmas Carol: Reginald Owens version, one with Allistair Sims, a musical with Michael Caine, another with the Muppets. There is even one from the old Twilight Zone. And while I did watch The Santa Clause III, I did not see many of the newer movies. And I haven't once fallen into the black hole of the made-for-tv Hallmark Channel movies.

Give me the old and the classic ones. Movies and tunes. And more of the carols too.

I will admit it. I'm in a rut. And I don't want out.

I just had to share this picture from 2008 of Older Son and his tree lit up in the back of Old Black. (He also gave Old Black those exhaust stacks.)

 

No comments: