Thursday, November 8, 2012

WIP or UFO?

With my recent attempt to continue knitting without casting on anything new, I have dived into the WIP pile.
I usually refer to my knitting projects languishing on the needles as WIPs: Works In Progress.   But I was reminded the other day that some knitters call them UFOs: UnFinished Objects.  That set me musing, as I am wont to do.
Is there a difference between WIPS and UFOs?
Those pictured below are current WIPs.  All have been worked on in the last week.  They are in progress, definitely.
There was the black mohair shaw I resurrected last winter.  It had not been worked on for 5 or 6 years.  And there are a couple of projects that have also been patiently waiting for about that long, and are sitting still.  I can think of at least 3 that are pre-Ravelry!  Since I plan to continue with them, someday, they are also WIPs.
I guess, for me, that UFOs are projects those below the radar.  I haven't touched them for a long time.  And I have no foreseen plans to pick them up.  And my WIPs are just that, still in progress.  And I still plan to work on them.
You know, after this sock, that gift, and perhaps, a commissioned work or so.
So, which term do you use?  Or do you finish every project you cast on?
(Oh, by the way, the projects below are the Dove gray socks, the Red Rover shrug, and the blue gansey cardigan, all in progress.)


1 comment:

oak haven alpacas said...

I am a WIP kind of gal :) But I try not to start something and leave it, I try to finish it. This works well for me because there is always a shortage of yarn at my house, so I must knit what I have.

Cara