Sunday, November 11, 2012

Thanks Vets!


This posting today is copied off my alternate blog, The Cemetery Divas.  I have used this picture before, when I first started my blog nearly five years ago.  (Five?  Already?)  I wanted to share it here for those who only follow my musings here.  The picture below was taken on Memorial Day, probably in 1946, by their "baby" sister, my Aunt Joycie.   I love this picture.

Happy Veterans Day to all veterans, whether they served in war or peace time.
For Dad (center) and his two brothers, Uncle Don and Uncle Howard, who served in World War II.  This picture sits proudly above my desk at the history center.  "Dad and the Unc's" as I call it.
For my favorite veteran nephew, who served in Afghanistan more recently.
For my first cousins, once removed.  These two brothers both served in the Marine Corp, one of whom was there when the barracks in Beirut was bombed.
For all my brave family members, living and dead who put their life aside to fight for our country.
And for all those who have worn the uniform of one of the branches of the armed services of the United States.
Thank you all.
And, just to make this different from the Divas post, I leave you with these words by Katharine Lee Bates, that brought tears to my eyes today in church:

O beautiful for heroes proved 
In liberating strife. 
Who more than self their country loved
And mercy more than life! 
America! America! 
May God thy gold refine 
Till all success be nobleness 
And every gain divine!

No comments: