Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Little Blue Coop

My long awaited little chicken coop has arrived. While I had been told between 8 and 9 a.m. Tuesday, I was shocked to stumble out of my room at 7:30 to notice something long backing into our driveway. Yikes!

Hubby and I quickly scrambled and were out to greet the driver as he got out of the truck. Within half an hour he was gone, and my Little Blue Coop had arrived. (My mind keeps singing Little Blue Coop to the Beachboys tune: Little Duece Coupe.)

Later that day we wrangled it almost into place, north of the garage. But this gives you the idea. I need to rethink the big tub I purchased to start the chicks in when they arrive. I don't think it will fit inside the coop. I also want to add another roost pole onside. But for now I am just happy it is here.

The nesting boxes are not bumped out like many coops have them but flush. I think that will help keep the eggs from freezing on cold winter winter days.

Hubby removed the 4X4 posts the tapered runners were bolted to for shipping. Once we got it in place there are only small gaps around the edges. I think we will put the 4X4s front and back to cover those small gaps. With the yard area, including under the coop, I think they will be able to scratch and run in safety.

They even sent a couple extra shingles, in case any were damaged in transport, as well as a couple little jars off touch up paint. The window shown above can be opened, if I stretch, and being on the north, should keep from overheating in there. I also opted for the wire over the windows, so as not to worry about something breaking in through the screens.

We just need to figure out how we are going to run a cord inside for the heat lamp. There are no gaps in the doors or windows to snake it through. It is almost too well built!

Then, once I get something to store feed in, and find a new home for the rabbit cage that is in the spot I'm keeping my chicken supplies, I'll be ready for my chickens.

Or earlier. They are ready to hatch soon.

No comments: