Thursday, April 1, 2010

Tractor Day

Even though my farm boys are out of school now, today is still my favorite day of the school year: Drive Your Tractor to School Day.
I forgot this was the day that our local FFA group hosts Tractor Day. It has been going on for 5 or 6 years now. I didn't get my camera in time for pictures this year so these are some from last years group.
Every year the Case International, John Deer and "other colors" enjoy the rivalry and the attention. The last few years, they even have tee shirts to commemorate the event.
The local TV channel had coverage about them on the evening news. (I tried to find a link, but it wasn't on their site at this time. ) (edited--I think this will take you there.)
This event is the last day of school before Spring Break and besides helping to ease the "verge of vacation" antys, it is a day that puts the focus on the area's agricultural heritage.
One thing though, you definitely need your sun glasses. The students--boys and girls, and teachers, who drive a tractor to school spend days polishing and shining these beasts for the show. Even the older ones look showroom fresh.
But with the weather we have been having, I am sure in a couple days most of these will be in the fields churning the soil, getting ready for planting corn and soybeans.

No comments: