Saturday, January 2, 2010

Happy New Year in Knitting

I have been so busy knitting lately that I haven't had a chance to post.

I started Sandy a pair of stuffed mittens, similar to my red ones as a belated Christmas present. I used merino for hers, with black wool top and gray alpaca roving. They also have more stuffing than mine do. I finished them in just over a week. I know she can use them. The cold makes her hands turn numb and white.

Now that they are done, I didn't have to think long before starting another project. (Yeah, I know, there are many UFO's waiting to be finished, but I like change.)
I searched around for a shoulder shawl pattern. I found one in Ravelry called a Reading Shawl or the Stay Put Shawl. It calls for a little more yarn than these 2 skeins of Lorna's Lace sport weight. I ended up getting a couple skeins of silky alpaca lace weight to use double stranded for the lace border. I also decided to add a stripe near the top to tie it in with the lace. If I run short, then I can also make a few rows at the bottom with the silky lace as well before starting the lace border.
Now I have another problem. I found a group that has a goal of knitting 10 shawls in 2010. My problem is that I only make fairly large ones. I am trying to tell myself--no time.
But the projects start as of January first. I started the above shawl.......January 1. I still have time to decide.

No comments: