Friday, October 16, 2009

Health Checks

Last week I went to the doctor for a diabetes check. A1C could be better @ 7.5, but I and the doc were pleased with my combined cholesterol of 167. Due to no health insurance I went to the Health Department for the old yearly pap test and to schedule a mammogram.
I liked the gal at the Health Department. She was thrilled that knitting and spinning have resulted in steady, although slow weight loss. She assigned me the “task” of trying to spend an hour each day knitting (for blood pressure) or spinning. While spinning she wants me to concentrate on my muscle use, perhaps tightening abs while treadleing. I like those kind of assignments.
Right now though, my biggest health complaint is the flu shots. Not the H1N1, I’m not sure if I will try to scrape up money for that, since I am not a high risk group for that. I haven’t been able to get my regular seasonal flu shot, which I have gotten every fall for over 20 years. No one has the serum in town. Every time I find out about a flu shot clinic, it gets canceled before the date scheduled.
They’re probably waiting until I get sick or something. At least my pneumonia shots are up to date.

No comments: