Sunday, July 28, 2013

The Side Effect

I've noticed that after I attend any kind of fibery celebration I get inspired to attempt new things. Yesterday was no different. Every fiber festival has its own style or tone. The one in West Branch each fall is casual and laid back. It has a good amount of fiber, tools and techniques. The West Michigan Fiber Festival, held in Allegan is simply overwhelming in quantity of everything. There are lots and lots of vendors and demonstrators. Plus fiber animals--rabbits, sheep, goats, alpacas, and once even a camel! The atmosphere is fun frantic and the weather is often sizzling hot.

The show at Castle Farms in Charlevoix is a whole different ballgame. Being a resort area there is a...I don't know, classier atmosphere maybe? Very nice venue. There are lots of finished items. Lots of hand dyed yarns and fibers. I splurged on a couple woven shawls. One a purplish pashmina type, machine made. The other from a good friend, a dyed alpaca shawl--toasty and warm. I found a couple patterns, one with the merino yarn it called for. And a scrumptious blend of pale green mostly angora they called "crack for spinners." It is soooo soft.

But the side effect this time was that I came home inspired to try my hand at chair pads, crocheted out of roving. I tried one that was thick, soft and comfy. And the pads breath and let the air through. I may take it to spinning. Those plastic seats are very warm to sit on.

Back home, until I can find the humungus crochet hook, the Best Bud's Baby's sweater is growing. I'm getting ready to start the pocket.

And I did start one non-sweater project. A small pair of socks.

Small dog included for scale.

 

No comments: