Friday, June 8, 2012

Another Hot One

I truly enjoyed last weekend.  It was cool and crisp.  I broke out the jeans and wool socks and they felt good.
This weekend promises to be more like Memorial Day weekend.
In other words, hot and miserable.
As a result, while I am nearly at the end of the second skein of yarn on Torri's shawl, it may go in time out for a while.  It is long enough now to reach to my toes on my lap, and needs to be tucked over my shoulder, or down my lap for easy maneuverability while knitting.  And this weekend, projected to be reaching 90's and humid, just isn't conducive to a pile of wool on your lap   As Torri said, it isn't as though she will be needing it really soon.
So if the heat is driving the wool shawl into the time out pile, what can I knit instead?  I have been sorting through the nearby WIPs to see what looks good.  Needless to say, I have quite a few options.
I still think that I could work some on the Red Rover Shrug.  It is wool, but spun tightly so not too fuzzy, and still short enough that it isn't going to spend the time laying in my lap.  At least not for a while.  That is a good option.  I really want to finish either the shrug or Torri's shawl before I weaken and start my Color Affection shawl.  
I don't have any current pictures, but I also have Phill's snowplowing socks to finish.  They are the ones knit with wool in the leg and instep, but acrylic blend for heel, sole and toes.  The wool part is done, and I am at the sole on the first one there.  That would be a good portable project too.  Other than the book I need if traveling to Knit Night.  Yup, that is a good option too.
I have the Midnght Black Mohair shawl, that I started in 2006, but that was getting pretty long after I picked it up this past winter.  Hmmm, black fuzzy mohair + 90 degrees + humidity.  I think I will pass on that till fall. 
If worse comes to worse, I do have a bamboo blend from Yarn Hallow that is in the beginning stages of a triangle shawl.  I needed something for a lighter shawl.  And lighter knitting is what I need.  I think I will try to work on that sometime this summer, but maybe I will save it for late summer.  With no AC this summer, and no real prospects of getting any, with out a current income, I think I will hold that for when it is continuously hot.  
When you consider that anything over 75 is too hot for me, I may be getting that out a lot this summer.  
And I may even finish my regular pair of socks that have been on the needles for quite some time. 
But for now, I think the Shrug is up.  So I think I will be getting this hot laptop back in the case, and dig that out. 

No comments: